Tuesday, January 6, 2015

The Promise of the Streetcar: Deliver(ed)?


On December 30, 2014 the new Atlanta Streetcar was delivered.  Bow, ribbons and promises was the order of the day. Mayor Kasim Reed proclaimed that this project will bring investment to a part of the city that has long been neglected.  We cheered, we fought to ride on that first day and I took pictures and wondered.  I wonder what the future holds for Auburn Avenue as the street car debuts?  What does this mean for this street that is a repository of African American history? Will the promised investment be realized? If the promised investment is realized what does it mean for the previous investment of blood, sweat, tears and struggle of the African Americans who came before those who are promised to arrive in the coming years?
At the heart of my wonderment was how will we remember?  How will the stories of this street be kept alive?  Will we remember the Southern Christian Leadership Council, The Butler YMCA, WERD Radio, the great houses of worship as they were back in the day, the work and legacy of John Wesley Dobbs, Alonzo Herndon and so many others?  Will their names be called, will their stories be told or will they become paved over in the coming economic revival that the Mayor has promised?  I wonder, watch and I will continue to track this story and I invite you to follow me as I follow the future while calling us to remember the past!


For more images from the grand opening:
Images from the grand opening:


No comments:

Post a Comment