Saturday, December 27, 2014

Selma: A Moving Tribute


I couldn’t wait to see the movie Selma and when I saw it I was not disappointed.   The story was well written and the characters well developed.  The movie was moving.  I found myself crying at various points in the movie as I was moved by the commitment and sacrifice of those who were apart of the movement.   Ava DuVernay did a great job directing and she definitely deserves an award for a job well done!


It is hard to do a period piece like this when so many of the characters are so well known.  The actors were superb across the board.  David Oyelowo pulls off Martin L. King Jr..  I was doubting if he or anyone could live up to playing Dr. King but he does.  His character is very convincing.  Oprah’s brings Anna Lee Cooper to life as the movie shows the leadership roll so many women played in the movement.  


Bayard Rustin is highlighted in the movie and I was pleased to see this.  His leadership is understated in many of the history books but in this movie his brilliance as a leader shines through.  I was very pleased to see that the writer, Paul Webb, did such a good job being true to the story of the struggle.   The movie doesn’t take liberties with history and turn it into fiction.  



In the end we sat in this movie and we cried, clapped, cheered and felt what so many sacrificed for the soul of this country.  You see the brilliance of the leaders and the plan they had to make a difference.  The characters were made human in the movie, they were just regular people who were committed making America a more just place.  This movie called me to continue the struggle.  The movement is not over.  We have battles to fight and this movie called me to continue the struggle.  Will you go see the movie and continue the struggle?  What do we owe those who fought so hard for us to enjoy the rights we enjoy today?


No comments:

Post a Comment