Tuesday, April 28, 2020

The Family Photo: Life After Death

The Family Photo: Life After Death

From Left to Right (Back Row):Jennie, Alejandro, Alex, Momma Beverly, Roberto, Sara, Isaiah and CJ
Front Row: Me, Ava and Vanesa (Photo taken by Joshua Rashad McFaddden)
When my wife, Vanessa and I, moved to Atlanta nine years ago we were responding to a call from God.  That call was supported by Vanessa’s siblings who already lived in Atlanta.  We left California and moved to Georgia to be greeted by our family.  Vanessa’s brother Alex, his wife Jennie and their son Alejandro along with her brother Roberto, his wife Sara and their three children CJ, Isaiah and Ava were here to welcome to the A. What joy to have our family living in the same town we were living in. This was a first for us and we were so thankful for the privilege of doing life together.

We have enjoyed these last nine years with our family but this pass weekend we lost one. We loss Sara Jackson-Chandler (June 5, 1979 to April 25, 2020).  Sara and Roberto were the youngest of the bunch, he was my little brother and she was my little sister. They represented the future of the family. We enjoyed watching them parent as their children went through the stages our children had long since passed.

On Sunday, February 23, 2020 we had one our usual family gatherings.  Two years ago Vanessa’s sister and her family moved to Atlanta.  All of Vanessa’s siblings and their families now lived in Atlanta and it was over her sister’s home, Adrianna, we had what would become our final family gathering that included Sara.  We didn’t know it at the time, that this would be the last time.  We engaged as we usually do, fun, laughter, food and playing games. We played the game Taboo and the women beat the men as usual.

I had just bought a new lens for my camera. I wasn’t really into taking pictures on that day. I was enjoying family but something told me to pick that camera up and take a few shots. As we began to play the game Taboo I took a few pictures, and then I took a few more. When I got home to process the pictures I wasn’t pleased with them. They were muddy and looked almost dreamy.  The new lens I bought had failed me and I didn’t send the pictures out to family like I usually do. I let them reside on my hard-drive never to be seen again. Then last week happened.

Sara was rushed to the hospital and she wasn’t breathing.  We found out that she had severe brain damage, couldn’t breathe on her own and the family would have to make decision.  Sara was taken off life support on Saturday, April 25, 2020. She passed away and we couldn’t be there to comfort her, Roberto, CJ, Isiah and Ava.  They had to say goodbye to Sara without the support of family.  We weren’t allowed to go to the hospital and be with them. They had to return home and we still couldn’t go to comfort them, sit with them, pray with them, hug and them and support them.  We had to mourn alone. The pictures, could I find the pictures from our last time together?

I woke up early Sunday morning.  I couldn’t sleep.  I had to find the pictures.  I found them and there she was, Sara was alive in the pictures.  I saw her, I heard her voice, I remembered the last time and it was as if I was reliving that moment as the tears ran down my face. She came to life in the pictures.  She was yet alive in the stillness of a photograph.  The family photo yet gives life after death.  When you get together with your family don’t take it for granted. By phone or otherwise take time to snap a picture.  It is through the family photo that family never dies.




11 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your sorrow and your source of comfort in the midst of the pain. I'm so sorry for your loss. You have my sincere prayers and condolences.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for comfort for your family.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ralph, my sincere condolences to your entire family during these tender days of grief and sudden loss. I am so very sad for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr. Watkins, I cannot even begin to imagine what you and your family are going through with the loss of Ms. Sara. I can see from the photos and from your post that you all are very loving of one another. God's peace be with her husband, children, and your entire family during this time of mourning.
    Felicia R. Thimas (CTS Student Affairs)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dr. Watkins, I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing the beauty of your lives together. I am holding you all up in prayer, that the God of all Comfort would be powerfully present in your shared memories, and in the ways you try to support each other in these upside-down days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rev. Dr. Ralph and family, my deepest sympathies. God bless your beautiful family.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Querido Ralph,
    Sending you a virtual abrazo. May Sara be wrapped in God's loving embrace. May she continue to guard the hearts of her family and guide those of her children. May the gift of sweet memory, made tangible through your photos, bring comfort through the tears. I know exactly what you mean about having the sense to take a family photo--because of that same urge my brother took one of our last Christmas together as a family, and that same urge in me insured we had one of our last family fiesta together 8 months later. God whispers in the most ordinary ways. Keeping you and your family in prayerful solidarity.
    Carmen

    ReplyDelete
  8. My sincere condolences and prayers are with all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. God is with us, even in our darkest times. He knows what we need before we really need it. He will see you all through this. Count on it. Sara has walked into that beautiful light. Praying for you all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so very sorry to hear about your family's loss of Sara.
    From my family to yours, we send our condolences and will pray for peace and comfort for your families.

    ReplyDelete