Monday, February 24, 2014

Lord Forgive Them for They Know Not What They Do!


As I continue to work on my Faith in Sweet Auburn Project I am focusing on the destruction, construction and reconstruction process.  As old histories are being paved over new histories are being built.  As the street of Auburn Avenue is being torn up and tracks for the Atlanta street car are being laid, new manhole covers are being installed, new electrical lines are going up, the workers who are doing this work are literally laying the foundation for a new / renewed history for Auburn Avenue.  Do these workers realize that their work is literally going down in history?  Their work is the foundation for the future of a street whose time had passed and these workers, who routinely go about their work on a daily basis, are the breath that will breathe life back into these streets.


As these workers go about their work I try to engage them as I take their pictures.  I always ask, “What are you doing? What is this?” I ask because I’m naturally inquisitive and I am trying to build a relationship with them.  I am trying to connect with them and their work.  As we engage in conversation their reply is about the task they are completing at the time.  They tend to ask what I am doing: “Are you a photographer?”  I respond yes and then I tend to go on about my project.  They are interested in my project but for them they are simply doing their job.  They are not like me making more out of this than it might warrant. They are doing their job and in reality I am just doing my job.  We are connected in some weird way as we dance around each other.  I am try to capture what they are doing in time and they are trying to move on and get the project completed.

 At times it appears that they are peaking at me as I am peering at them through the viewfinder.  That separation between them and me as I put the camera up to my eye to frame the shot is more than symbolic. We see the work they are doing very differently.  They are just doing their job.  This is what they do everyday.  They are great at what they do.  They are doing a great job.  They don’t appear to be asking the types of questions I am asking, and I don’t expect them to, as I am not asking the question they are asking.  As I reflect on our roles, the construction workers and my work as the photographer / storyteller, how far apart are we?  I am doing my job.  I am doing my job as a sociologist who has been trained to ask question about gentrification.  As a photographer I am being trained to capture this story in pictures and pray that someone cares.  I am trying to preserve the old story while recording the new story that is being written.

We are doing our job!  We are all called to do our job or follow our calling.  Some want to suggest what others should be doing.  My reply has always been if you do what you are supposed to be doing it will hold you and others accountable.  I am going to take some prints to my colleagues who are doing the work on the street this week.  I am going to invite them to visit the blog and engage me in dialogue.  I want to take some them to lunch. I want to get to know them and their work and I want them to get to know my work and me.  At the foundation of this project are relationships.  How will we grow together as we build together?  As we are all players in the destruction, construction and reconstruction how do we play together?

2 comments:

  1. For me, the essence of your project is the last paragraph of this post. Good idea, asking them to lunch. And you might try, when they pause to ask you what you're doing, ask to take their picture. A portrait, eye contact, a tangible record of that brief encounter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Professor...I think this is a big part of the project...portraits of the many people, from all walks of life, that I will encounter along this journey...

      Delete