Tuesday, October 7, 2014

The Past and the Future in Tension: The Streetcar Comes to Life!


On the eve of October 1, 2014 The Atlanta Streetcar passed the test.  The Streetcar performed under its own power.  The night was filled with excitement as onlookers and those who have worked on the project rejoiced.  It was exhilarating to be on the street that night as the Streetcar pulled out of the station and started down Fort Street, made a left turn and made its way down Auburn Avenue.

I didn’t know how I would feel about this night.  When I began this project I was a bit ambivalent about the revitalization of Auburn Avenue. I struggled with how the history would be remembered and preserved.  While I still wonder about how Sweet Auburn will remember I am yet hopeful of the life the new streetcar will bring.  What I know is that life must be brought to this street if the history is to remembered and celebrated.  The bringing of people and activity opens up the opportunity for a conversation.


Sharon Gavin, Communications Director for Atlanta Streetcar is awesome.  She is such a gracious person who is working with the community.  You can tell that she cares about the legacy of Auburn Avenue and she is passionate about the connection of the past with the present.  To talk to her gives me hope. I have been literally moved by the coming of the Streetcar.  I think the potential for memory is here.  This isn’t an either or proposition but rather a both and proposition. How do we have urban renewal and redevelopment while simultaneously preserving the rich history of our city?  We can do both?  What are those things you are trying to build and trying to preserve?  Can you walk in the tension of yesterday while moving into the promise of tomorrow?










No comments:

Post a Comment