Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Dare to Be Different! A Tribute to Fannie Lou Hamer



Fannie Lou Hamer
We live in a world that demands conformity.  We are rewarded for being average, for fitting in and simply going along to get along.  To be average is to be mediocre; it is to be in that big hump in the bell curve.  I don’t think it was in the creator’s intent for us to be average when we were created.

We are each a designer original.  We were designed differently to live do that unique thing we were created to do.  Over time we are taught to stop being us and be like everyone else.  When you choose to standout teachers will say, “You aren’t like the rest of the children.”  Our reply should be, “We weren’t designed to be like the rest of the children and I am not going to allow you to put me in that box.  I am going to be the unique and different.  I am going to be the me the creator created me to be.”
As we get older it doesn’t stop.  We go to jobs on the daily that demand we fit and do what is expected of us.  If we do what is expected we will never do the unexpected, the unusual, or the extraordinary. If we always follow the rules we will never change the rules of the game.  I refuse to fit in!  I refuse to do what you want me to do but rather I will do what I was created to do the way I was created to do it. 

Don’t expect people to understand you or what you do.  You have to understand you and what you do.  You have to make sense to you.  When you dare to be different people will look at you funny, they will talk about you, they will not understand you and in many cases they will not respect you.  Their disrespect comes from their disdain for you because you have chosen not to play the game they are average at playing on the daily. 

Today I say to you dare to be different.  Dare to express yourself?  Dare to do that thing that others said you couldn’t do or shouldn’t do!  Do that thing that when you tell people you are doing they look at you like you are crazy.  What is it about you that makes you standout?  What is it about you that you need to amplify that says “I’m different and my difference makes a difference and makes this world a better place; more just, more loving, more kind and more creative? What is different in you that society has talked out of you? 


DARE TO BE DIFFERENT AND MAKE A DIFFERENCE!










No comments:

Post a Comment