Monday, July 14, 2014

What is it about you and your work that makes you UNIQUE?

I like to assign myself reading.  I love to read and a big part of my creative process is cerebral.  I have to wrap my mind around what it is I am trying to do.  While I read a lot I am very selective on who I read.  My reading is also complimented by my looking at the work of those who inspire me.  In the world of photography there is a group that I consider my mentors.  They don’t know me but I know there work. 


I work at finding those mentors and this comes from my reading and looking at images.  This summer quarter one of the books that I have assigned myself to read is Image Makers Image Takers by Anne-Celine Jaeger. The book “systematically examines what motivates and inspires today’s photographers and what makes them succeed. It reveals how the world’s leading photographers, from the field of art, documentary, fashion, advertising and portraiture, actually work, and explores what it is that picture editors, curators, gallerists, agency directors and publishers are looking for when they choose an image.”  From cover to cover this book is simply inspiring.  I have learned so much from the diverse voices and points of view in this book.  One voice that has spoken to me above the others has been Eugene Richards.



Eugene Richards is known for his compassion and his ability to confront difficult subject matter.  He, like me, is one of those photographers who likes to get close, no long lens for us.  When he talks about developing your style or personal way of seeing, he says, “In order to develop a personal way of seeing, you have to study the work of people, look at where you fit into your own society, and work to develop your own vision out of all of this.”  So the questions for us is who are you “studying”?  To study the work of an artist is to fully immerse yourself in their work and their life.  You have to know their story to understand and fully connect with their work.  As you study, where do you fit?  What is your story and how does your story inform your work?  What resources do you pull from inside of you that brings something new to the table?  We are not to copy our mentors but rather we are to extend the work and take it to the next level or point on the continuum.  Where are you and your work taking us?





6 comments:

  1. Ralph- I'm not finished with it yet, but I think Dan Winters, "Road to Seeing" might interest you, too. http://goo.gl/w2sgvT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will order it today..thanks for the recommendation.

      Delete
  2. @Fores McMullin...I will check it out...thanks for the recommendation..I really appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just ordered this book! I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got the book (Image Takers) at the beginning of this past Spring Quarter. Definitely a good read! I especially appreciated the works of William Eggleston, Naomi Harris, and Alec Soth. I appreciated hearing the interview with Eugene Richards, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will have to read the book! I agree you need to get in, be personal and connect with your subjects. My husband and I decided to go down and have dinner on Sweet Auburn at Mangos after hearing how passionate you were in regards to the areas rich history.

    ReplyDelete