Monday, January 6, 2014

New Year, New Day, New Quarter: SCAD-Excited

New Year, New Day, New Quarter: SCAD-Excited

January 6, 2014 was one of the coldest days of the year in Atlanta Georgia. As my wife and I woke up we turned on the news and schools all over the region were announcing they were either closing or starting late.  For the Savannah College of Art and Design (SCAD) there was no such message about closing.  We artist do our work come rain, sleet, snow or hail!  Well, I was excited.   To start a new year, on a cold day for my second quarter at SCAD had me excited. I was looking forward to the growth this quarter would bring.  I was like a kid on the first day of school.

Forest McMullin
This quarter started off with a bang.  Our professor, Forest McMullin, emailed us over the break and he assigned reading for us to have done at the start of class and he told us to buckle up!  Well, day one of class was quite a ride.  The best professors are those who love what they do.  Their passion for the subject matter and their students can be felt throughout the classroom.  Forest is like a living light.  I am looking forward to studying with him.



The book for the class is Photography Changes Everything edited by Marvin Heiferman and the book is centered around six broad categories as it relates to the power and impact of photography:
1.     Photography changes what we want
2.     Photography changes what we see
3.     Photography changes who we are
4.     Photography changes what we do
5.     Photography changes where we go
6.     Photography changes what we remember
There is a power in the still image and it influences us in so many ways.  I choose to focus my study in photography because I firmly believe that good images can change the world.  In the foreword of Photography Changes Everything Merry A. Foresta wrote, “…photographs give us a reason to tell stories.  Sometimes the stories are about the subject of the photograph, sometimes about the photographer, or what was going on when the photograph was taken.  Sometimes the photograph reminds one of another photograph and another moment”   In essence she is suggesting that photographs shape how we think, see and act.  Photographs are synergistic tools for storytelling, memory making and change.  A photograph, as the book claims, changes everything.  Photographs change what we want, what we seek, who we are, what we do, what we remember and the stories we tell.  Just try it, pull out some old pictures, start viewing them with your family, telling stories and see what those images do.  Tell me how powerful those images are as instruments of story.

I am in school to become a storyteller.  I am a storyteller who believes that some of the best stories are told with pictures.   For me the combination of pictures and words are the keys to unlocking the door for social change.  We must show the world what we are writing about.  As I enter this term I am reminded of those who I have looked up as classic photographers / storytellers.  Those who told stories with their pictures that when embedded in words, in a climate of change their images made our word different.  Their images changed our image and we were able to imagine a different world.    I am thinking of photographers like:
and so many more…
As I continue to become a photographer / artist / writer / storyteller I am so thankful for SCAD and the way in which they are molding us and making us as we seek to find our voice.  I am looking forward to creating, and yes I mean creating not making images; Photographers are creators and co-creators with the Divine.  We create not make.  it is my prayer that through the lens the world I see will help others to see how we can re-create our world to be a place of justice and equality.  Let the quarter begin. Happy New Year @ SCAD!

3 comments:

  1. Ralph - I'm really looking forward to your project about the history of Edgewood. Even though I live in this area, there are still many things I don't know about it. I also checked out Dan Budnik's images. Very powerful work. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im very excited for this new year !!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed! Despite "the struggle" I can certainly see the growth in my work and I'm confident that this experience will give us the time to develop into the visionaries we aspire to be.

    ReplyDelete