Monday, September 29, 2014

Who are you looking at? Looking at Euguene Richards


One of the many things I have learned in school at Savannah College of Art and Design is the importance of finding artist who you admire and can also inform your work.  To look at their work and to follow their careers has away of influencing your work.  Your eyes are trained to see in new and different ways as you engage their work.  You are not inclined to copy them but rather to see your work in new ways as your work engages their work in the process of your creating work.

Eugene Richards inspires me in so many ways.  One of the things I really enjoy about his work is his sharing his journey as he creates his work.  He allows you to walk with him as he creates because he so transparent.  His images are paired with his writings and his writings are a combination of diary, commentary on his pictures and his engagement with his subjects.  

Richards takes time with his projects and builds relationship with his subjects.  One thing I have learned from him is to take your time.  I am always in hurry, trying to accomplish as much as I can in the time that I have. Richards has taught me to slow down.  Take time to see the light; be conscious about your composition; think about what you are seeing and what you want to show via the image you create. I hear Richards as I seek to see what I hope to capture as I make photos. Who are you listening to?  Who is guiding you?  Whose in your head and eye?  Whose is inspiring you not to recreate them but to become you? 




No comments:

Post a Comment